I know my blogging has been sparse. Not only is being an mother of a toddler and a preschooler demanding, but being a handicapped mom of two little ones presents even more of an issue. I have so much to blog about I'm nearly bursting at the seams. Soon enough, I will blog about the car accident I was in nearly 4 years ago and the repercussions of that. For now, I want to catch up on our family, in particular Roman.
Our dear, sweet, rescue dachshund, Roman, became very ill the past few months. He was quickly deteriorating. After many tests, much discussion with vets, vet techs, other dog moms, and after what seems like endless tears (they come still as I write this) we decided it would be in Roman's best interest to assist him to the Bridge and have him euthanized. He passed over and his body laid to rest on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at what we think was around age 10ish.
When there is a death of someone close to you, whether human or furbaby, it feels like life should stop for a while. Oh, how I long for things to just STOP so I can grieve the loss of our little Roman. But, life keeps propelling us forward...Leila needs to move to a big girl bed, she needs to keep working on potty training, Emmett wants to play, Nicolas wants to read...everyone still wants something of James and I, and all we want is just a small STOP in the world so we can grieve.
It's been a rough week because of this lack of ability to be able to stop and grieve. Tuesday I did endless loads of needed laundry, for instance. There is cooking to be done, cleaning to be done, children to spend time with, another furbaby who needs food and love, and a husband who needs comforting for the loss of his best furbuddy, Roman. As I type this, I have my daughter screaming at me for attention, even though James is watching them so I can write and they have HIS full attention. *sigh
There were calls to make prior to Roman's death, and people who he needed to say goodbye to. My sister and my niece both had some time with him, I called my nephew, his beloved Tony, to let him talk to him on the phone. Roman whined and cried for him. He wouldn't look at the phone; I think he was hurt Tony wasn't there in person. :( The most difficult call I had to make, obviously, was to his foster mommy and my good friend, Laurel. I sobbed telling her of our decision. By a week before his death, poor Roman was so bloated everywhere, even in his paws. He was cuddly as ever, but so uncomfortable. He always demanded our attention, which we were happy to give the little love bug, but we loved on him extra much. Even Emmett backed off to let him have full attention, knowing what was coming.

I loved that dog. I love him, still. Yes, he was always a little bit mental, but it was ok because it was part of who Roman was...of his past before we had the honor of having him as part of our family. He was my protector through two pregnancies, my comfortor post-car accident, and he taught Emmett how to guard the babies. He gave love freely and had the most pathetic look no one could resist loving him back! Roman, thank you for being a part of our lives. James and I miss you. We miss accommodating you. We miss how you were always up for a cuddle with us. We miss the way you never knew when to stop licking. All the good, all the annoying, all the undesireable...we miss it all. Rest in peace, our dear, sweet, boy. I will see you again. I know it.
Roman ("Romie," "Romie the Homie," "Little Wein," "Romeo")
Adopted June 13, 2005
Went to the Rainbow Bridge February 15, 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment