Oct 21, 2011

One Dog, Three Dog, Four Dog, Three Dog

It's certainly been chaotic around here. First one dog, then three, then four!

Back in February, a few weeks after we lost Roman, Nicolas and I went on some errands by Costco. Stacey Wideman had her Foxy Doxy Dachshund Rescue Adoption Booth set up outside of PetSmart that day. I spotted it and asked him if he wanted to go look at dachshunds. Of course he said yes! Off we went. On that day I fell in love with Buzz, a.k.a. "Buzz Lightface." A piebald, he was originally thought to be around 10 because of the white in his face, but Stacey said she thought more like 6, which I agree with. My heart was not ready to bring him home, though. The scar of Roman's loss was too fresh.

We decided we were going to move out of the area. Several times I went to see Buzz or asked her about him. After we moved I found myself looking at her pups on-line, and was pulled to another little cutie, Mickey, as well. I was planning a visit about six weeks after the move to go up and see my parents so they could visit with the kids. I e-mailed Stacey about Buzz and Mickey. Both had been adopted, but recently sent back to her: Buzz for marking and Mickey because the adopter was developing dementia and said Mickey was so quiet he was afraid he was forgetting about him and not feeding him. After discussions with Emmett (since he is top dog), my husband and the kids, we decided we wanted to adopt both and give them their forever home. I adopted them in mid-July on that visit and brought them home with me.

Buzz & Mickey have fit in well here! Both love cuddles and attention. Buzz is our little comedian, Mickey our velcro dog who loves us both but instantly took to James. James, I could tell, was a little reluctant at first to get to close, but now you would never know that. Buzz did mark a little at first, and Mickey would just squat and go occasionally. Thank goodness for the carpet steamer/cleaner! But they have both now realized we have a routine, they know when we go out, and how to let us know. I am so proud of how far they came in the potty department in such a short time! They are simply already part of the family and I now can't imagine not having all three dachsies under foot in the kitchen, or on my lap, or hogging the bed.

A few weeks after we adopted "Herp & Derp" (Buzz & Mickey's nicknames), a friend urged me to look into fostering a dachshund on death row at the horrible Baldwin Animal Shelter, a little over an hour from where we now live. I obliged and ended up bringing home a happy to be sprung and hilarious "Snoopy" who had been owner surrendered because he was hind-end paralyzed at the time. Because I had experience with IVDD with Emmett, my friend thought I would be the perfect foster mommy to nurse this dog back to health, if it was possible, and I was told I would be fostering a mere three weeks. I x-pened him. I played with him. I loved him. He played with the kids, I had him examined and got him his vaccinations, and two acupuncture treatments during that time. We treated him like family and ventured forth as (at least a temporary) four dog household.

On the fourth week (because I did not feel he was fit to travel to his destination of PA), Snoopy was apparently in pain and he bit my left index finger. Those of you who know me know this story. Bottom line: It was a gnarly bite that ended up infected because I would not go get it looked at for two days. I did not want it reported, and I was trying to find another place for him to go because I feared he would bite one of my children at that point. We took him to the vet and obtained pain medication for him. She felt his neck and mid back were both issues, as did the acupuncture vet. To make a very long story short, his acupuncture vet talked to the local rescue about him after I did, then made arrangements to board him during the duration of the 10 day rabies waiting period, and the local dachshund rescue agreed to take Snoopy in at her recommendation after that. She continued to treat him and he was recently adopted.

A very happy ending for Snoopy.

My finger is still sore.

Here are pictures of of our newest family members, Buzz & Mickey (a.k.a. Herp & Derp), as well as a few of Snoopy the Foster while I had him and just prior to his adoption.











































2 comments:

Alison said...

You blog about as often as I do! Since your a So. Cal girl now, I thought I'd tell you about a benefit run for 10 rescue organizations call the Rescue Train. Its in Pasadena on Oct 23. Check out their web-site racefortherescues.org

Simone said...

I used to blog nearly every day. I erased most of it. I will be blogging more and keeping this as the dog blog. Working on a new blog I'll unveil hopefully soon that will be about everything else. Thanks for reading Ali!