Jul 25, 2011

I Love Emmett



Emmett is now 12. He was born 4/13/99 and he was planned. I had pick of the litter. I was watching Emmett today and wanted to write about him because I don't want to forget anything. With the chaos of 4 dogs in the house (one being a foster), I'm afraid I'll get too frazzled to write when I need to.

Emmett, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

1. I love how understanding and forgiving you are of me, when no one else in my life is.

2. I love how you guard and protect me and your family...even from the wind when it howls!

3. I love how you sit outside my shower and always have when I'm in there. Thank you for helping me to get some "me" time if only once a day.

4. I love how much you adore the beach and how as a pup you rolled in the stinkiest sea weed you could find.

5. I love your determination: recovering from dcon poisoning, then a year later from throwing 2 discs in your back and being paralyzed. Did that hold you down? No way! You are a fighter.

6. I love your zeal for chasing "intruders" like birds, cats, and other dogs from your yard, and how you like to patrol.

7. I love that you saved Nicolas' life when he had an asthma attack and no one knew it was going on when I was in the hospital having Leila.

8. I love how you go to tell Daddy whenever I am injured or hurting and get him to come check on me when I'm too stubborn to let anyone know.

9. I love how, at 12, you still play with me like you are a puppy, but only when no one is watching! I understand you have a rep to protect.

10. I love how seriously you take your job as big brother to Nicolas, Leila, to Roman when he was with us, and now to Buzz, Mickey & Snoopy.

11. I love how you share me with the other dogs, albeit reluctantly, knowing mommy will take time every day just for you.

12. I love that look. You know the one. The one that tells me you love me. The slow, blinky eye look that you also don't want anyone but me to see.

13. I love your empathy...but I love you enough to tell you that you don't have to take on all my issues, Boo Dog.

14. I love the way you eat crackers with me when I'm sick in bed. Little corners of them and how you crunch them loudly and very cute like you are chewing something huge. It makes me laugh.

15. I love how you still play ball like a puppy, barking your head off for me to throw it for you. It has made me giggle for 12 years now.

16. I love that you never poop or pee in the house. Cuz that's just gross.

17. I love how you always know exactly what I need, be it space, a cuddle, or to be guarded from munchkins. :D

18. I love your singing voice, that you like to sing with me, and how you can howl "I love you."

19. I love that adorable widow's peak on your forehead!

20. I love your "big dog" bark, and that you are not yappy at all.

21. I love how you LOVE Lambie and he has been your pal your whole life, even though I should have taken stock out in them because we are about to resurrect him for the 10th time or so.

1 comment:

Chris said...

What a great list! I love wiener dogs too and totally understand how you feel about them. I'm just a rookie, I only have 2 but I see many many doxies in my future =) I just found your blog and I'll be sure to keep it on my doxie list.